Back to Blog
Pulse Arts has been granted our first award of $5000 to bring the community of Sonoma County together around the theme Why Arts Matter. We will be hosting 3 public events in collaboration with the Windsor Arts Now Community, The Movement Lab, The Nueva School for the Arts, and Bow and Arrow Clothing. All events will be hosted by The Heartcore MC, Radioactive.
The events will be documented by a professional videographer and published online. Hopefully it will be shown at local school board and/or community meetings. Community members of all ages will be invited to actively demonstrate WHY ARTS MATTER through participation in these events and through interviews with the facilitators.
1. I AM VIBRANT will involve a collaborative mural painting project at the Windsor Town Green in collaboration with local visual and performing hip hop artist Wood Rowe Farguheson Jr. aka MC Radio Active (The Heartcore Emcee) . The mural will be designed by Wood Rowe Farguheson on large plywood sheets and painted by participating community members.
2. I AM ABLE will involve a positive kid-friendly Hip Hop gathering in collaboration with MC Radio Active (The Heartcore Emcee) , and The Movement Lab Dance Studio. Extraordinary, an all-abilities dance company will perform along with local artists of all ages. 2 hour event
3. I AM BEAUTIFUL, a free professional photo shoot for community members at the Plaza Park in Cotati in collaboration with Mercedes Hernandez at Bow and Arrow Clothing. 2 hour event
WHY ARTS MATTER will serve to activate the public space and community in which it will occur by bringing together individuals of all backgrounds and abilities to engage in positive creative activities around the theme of empowerment through the arts, and be a part of a short film documenting the process. Community members will be asked WHY ARTS MATTER and how it the arts have impacted their lives. In addition, the film will be used to promote and support the establishment of arts programs in public schools.
Participants will be reached through a robust social media campaign announcing each event 4 weeks in advance. Additionally, fliers and posters will be printed and distributed at local businesses, schools (with permission), and creative agencies.
1. Engage community members of all ages in a creative process and interactive arts experience: Visual, Media, and Performing Arts
2. Host a series of free and positive community events in public spaces that bring people together around a common creative theme: Why Arts Matter
3. Create a film that can demonstrate and illustrate the importance of the arts and arts education and can be used as an advocacy tool in the community.